This #tastingtuesday took me to the beautiful family-owned and run winery, Warwick Estate. From the moment you drive through the entrance towards the tasting room you are overwhelmed by the peace and serenity that engulfs the Estate.
I was welcomed and hosted by Front of House Manager, Marco Bleeker. To Marco and the lovely Crystal who conducted one of the most informative wine tastings, a huge big thank for your warm hospitality and making me feel so welcome. Marco the time you took to do the impromptu Big 5 Wine Safari, a very special experience! – more about the safari shortly.
I happily share my tasting adventure with you:
- The First Lady Sauvignon Blanc 2017 – Palate pleaser of note! It’s packed with tropical flavours. I can see myself sipping away on a hot summers day with family and friends
- The First Lady Unoaked Chardonnay 2016 – What a friendly wine! This Lady can be enjoyed with just about every occasion and every food. I loved the lightness, crispness and freshness. Warwick suggests pairing it with chicken kebabs on the braai with an apricot chutney – guess what’s on the menu this weekend husband dearest…
- The First Lady A Dry Rosé – Ladies I know you love the colour Rose Gold, well look at this beautiful Lady! Not only is she beautiful, but she pulls off classy and sassy like that! More good news, she’s lighter in alcohol so you can drink more of it. Cheers to Warwick’s Dry Rosé.
My tasting report continues:
- The First Lady Cabernet Sauvignon – This beautiful Cabernet is 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, matured for 14 months in French oak. It can be aged for 3-5 years. I loved the life that comes through the smokyness and berry flavours with each sip.lack Lady
- Black Lady – This dark and mysterious number has pepper and floral aromas on the nose which is followed through into the palate. Quite the in-your-face wine but very enjoyable.
- The White Lady – One of my favorite! The aroma of pear and vanilla adds to the deliciousness of this very smooth Lady. It’s delicate and beautifully balanced. Definitely serving her alongside my next homemade cheese platter.
- Cabernet Franc – Deep dark ruby and purple colour makes for the full body of this wine. I picked up wet soil which is because this wine is packed with earthy aromas. Another great cheese match wine.
- The Blue Lady – Quite the powerful wine. Full body with a variety of fruit flavors on the palate. I couldn’t decide which fruit it was that stood out, very interesting.
- Trilogy – Traditionally a blend of 3 Bordeaux varieties, hence its name. A typical pour-some-more wine. This lady is friendly with tannins that are silky smooth. Treat her as the grand lady she is and be delighted.
Let me tell you the beautiful story about the Warwick Wedding Cup – in short.
The legend of this cup revolves around a princess called Kunigunde. Her hand had been promised in marriage to a Prince from a faraway kingdom.
Princess Kunigunde fell in love with a handsome Silversmith. The Princess’s father did not approve of their love. The King became so enraged and threw young Silversmith in a dungeon.
This did not end the Princess’s love for her Silversmith, instead she grew weak and pale as a result of their separation. The King and Queen made the following proposal: He told his daughter “If your Silversmith can make a chalice from which two people can drink at the same time without spilling one single drop, I will free him and you shall become his bride.”
Inspired by love the young Silversmith created a masterpiece. He sculpted a girl with a hollowed skirt which serve as a cup. Her raised arms held a chalice that swivels so that it could be filled and swung towards another.
The challenge was met. The Silversmith and his Princess joined hands in marriage. To this day and to many couples the chalice remains a symbol of their love.
The deck area overlooking the lush lawn and dam under the shade of oak trees, can be used for formal or informal functions.
Picnic @ Warwick – Relive your childhood by relaxing under umbrellas and oversized cushions whilst the kiddies play on the jungle gym.
Hop on and join the Big 5 Wine Safari. Be taken on a ride through the mountain vineyards and enjoy a wine tasting at The Penthouse with a breathtaking view of the Cape Winelands. This venue can also be used for private group picnics and corporate functions.
Here are a few more pics taken during my visit…
Find Warwick Estate on the R44 between Stellenbosch and Klapmuts.
For Reception: 021 884 4410 / email@example.com
For Bookings: 021 884 4410 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Get Social with Warwick…