Joostenberg has a beautiful long history. Originally mixed agriculture was practiced, from early 1800’s till 1947 both wine and brandy were made. Today Joostenberg is a small family owned and managed wine farm and they have expanded rapidly over the years.
The Myburgh brothers places special emphasis on natural winemaking, achieving their full organic status in 2012.
At Joostenberg the aim is to ensure their wines are absolutely delicious and true to its origin.
Organic Vineyards – All their vineyards are farmed organically, minimizing “unwanted” influences and explains the taste of the grapes. Furthermore many of their vineyards are farmed with no irrigation.
- Chenin Blanc
- Viognier (wait till you read my experience with this one…)
- Cabernet Sauvignon
- Touriga Nacional
I was treated to a special tasting by winemaker Micu Narunsky, aka The Piano Man – Israeli born jazz pianist turned winemaker. Well all I can say, absolutely a huge massive gain to us wine consumers!
Micu introduced the following wines:
- Joostenberg “Die Agteros” Chenin Blanc 2016 – I’ll explain the name… this wine is made from the oldest vineyard on the farm and is a very ugly looking vineyard. Some time back they were contemplating whether to remove it but then recognized its quality. Now this vineyard is loving cared for year after year. It might have taken a long time to prove itself but today it’s the favorite vineyard. This Chenin is fairly complex and a very sophisticated wine.
- Joostenberg “The Piano Man” Viognier 2015 – MY ABSOLUTE FAVORITE!!! Named after winemaker Micu who fell in love with wine whilst working as a jazz pianist in Bordeaux. Thank you for following your dream to take up the craft of winemaking. I absolutely love the richness and distinct apricot aromas. I want I want I want 😃
- Joostenberg “Philip Albert” Cabernet Sauvignon 2015 – Comprising of Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot grapes from un-irrigated vineyards. A classy and elegant Cabernet
- Joostenberg “Klippe Kou” Syrah 2015 – Strong aromatic wine, spice and pepper with a slight smoky nose
- Joostenberg Bakermat 2014 – Bakermat meaning “birth-place” pays homage to Joostenberg for 6 generations. Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Merlot and Touriga Nacional. Their flagship red wine.
The intimate tasting room also plays venue to private functions and special events. Here’s a list of upcoming events not to be missed:
- Saturday 14 October Arno Carsten Duo – SOLD OUT
- Sunday 12 November Stone Jets will be performing at the annual open day luncheon event
- Sunday 3 December Doc Maclean
- Saturday 20 January 2018 Blues Broers
- Saturday 10 February 2018 Gerald Clark
For more information or bookings contact Sonel Zeeman during office hours on 021 200 9903 / email@example.com
Joostenberg Farm & Winery, Joostenberg Farm, Muldersvlei, 7606
GPS: S33.82 662 / E179.9998
T: 021 200 9903